Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Being Sick duing the Christmas School Holidays

I am currently sick. I have been sick since 28 December. The chronology is something like:

28 December: go to bed with sore throat
29 December: wake up with sore throat, fever, chills, headache and swollen glands
30 December: I feel sick, nausea and body aches have joined the party, sleep on and of all day, do not get up other than to have a hot shower to steam the shit of of my head or to go pee.
31 December: Screw getting up out of bed at all...though I did rise for an hour to say farewell to Meg and Ted and I did step out to the park on the corner to watch the illegal fireworks at 11.58 and was back in bed at 12.10
1 January: you guessed it, stayed in bed all day but fever seems to be waning.
2 January: on the mend but my face is on FIRE, so much pain, bad headache and hyper sensitive to touch
3 January: panadeine forte (Tylenol 3) and Nurofen are not even touching the pain
4 January: go to dentist to see if pain is being caused by a filled tooth that really probably needs a root canal. Doc says NOPE TOOTH MUST COME OUT but it appears as if infection has set into the jaw, so course of antibiotics and an appointment for extraction next week...the good news is the meds used to freeze the tooth give me a few hours relief from the headache, not to mention for the first time in 12 months I don't have the 'cold' sensation so I splurge on a Vanilla Milkshake, swish it lavishly around my mouth, just because I can...and promptly throw it up in the bin outside Safeway.
5 January: managed to get out of bed by 1pm, make a loaf of banana bread and then entertain coffee guests (who were so wonderfully simple and easy) for a couple of hours, then back to bed.


Now if you managed to get through all of that you should know that I am spectacularly pissed off about being sick. I have better things to do. I promised my kids that seeing as I had to study through every one of the school holiday periods in 2010 that THIS school holiday would be special, that THIS school holiday would see my gorgeous kids spending time with their gorgeous mother in the throws of mother-child spending time together ecstasy, just like you see in all of those stupid-assed commercials designed to make you feel that if you aren't spending every single second of your day laughing and frolicking with your kids you are somehow lacking as a mother.

Harumph - I didn't see the kids in those commercials laying smack down on the sibling because they accidentally got sand in water play tub, or her gorgeous toddler wandering away while you are mashalling said fight because something caught his eye, like a butterfly, spending a frantic half hour searching and wondering and worrying, while trying not to lose the other two kids who frankly don't give a damn that their little brother has wandered off and would rather just go home without him.

OK I am tired just thinking about a blissful day out to the park with a picnic lunch and think being sick may just be a reasonable excuse not to do it. I should have thought about that before I got out of bed today after almost a week of seeing nothing but the four walls of my bedroom. A loaf of homemade banana bread was met by a chorus of "Yah! Mom is out of bed...can we go to the pool tomorrow?"

I think I prefer the flu!

No comments:

Post a Comment